The first quarter of the 2018 stood out with a number of interesting meetings and activities that were carried out within the framework of Ayb Club’s area of work.
The new body of the Executive Board started work
The Ayb Club’s new Executive Board, elected in late December 2017, began its active work.
It should be reminded that the new Executive Board comprises:
The elections of the Executive Board are held every three years. The Executive Board carries out the operational management of the Ayb Club. The Club is the supreme governing body of Ayb, which elaborates the development strategy of the Ayb system. The Executive Board includes only Ayb Club members.
From career and university counseling to meetings with Ayb Club members – this quarter has been quite active in terms of the Mentorship Program.
Meetings on career and university counseling
- Meeting of Ayb alumni and current Ayb students
Meetings on career and university counseling are held within the framework of horizontal mentorship. They are organized for exchange of practice and are intended for high school students.
On January 12, various 2013-2017 Ayb graduates came together in Ayb School for a meeting with high school students. During this gathering the alumni spoke about their specializations and universities as well as discussed the peculiarities of studying the same specialization in different universities.
- The activities of the Alumni Club’s Teacher Assistant Team
The Alumni Club’s Teacher Assistant Team began its work in September 2017. The team comprises 14 Ayb alumni that assist teachers in four subjects – these are those alumni who have vested interest in teaching and view this chance as an opportunity for professional development. Besides professional development, this initiative also aims to help teachers in their work and serve as a platform for exchange of practice between students and alumni.
In the first quarter, the teachers and alumni had a meeting to discuss their work over the past term and plan their to-dos for January-May.
Meetings with Ayb Club Members
Within the framework of the Mentorship Program, Ayb Club members regularly meet with Ayb School students and alumni and discuss various topics. In the first quarter of 2018, such meetings were organized with three Ayb Club members, David Pakhchanian, Arthur Alaverdyan and Arsen Galstyan.
- David Pakhchanian meets with alumni and students
On March 2, Ayb Club member, member of the Ayb Educational Foundation’s Board of Trustees, Deputy Defense Minister of Armenia David Pakhchanian had a meeting with Ayb School’s alumni and students, during which Mr. Pakhchanian spoke about the new laws related to the army, including the abolition of military deferment, and the new projects, including the “I Am” and “I Have the Honor.” “These changes aim to offer young people the best options for choice and use their potential at the most along with settling current army issues,” said Mr. Pakhchanian.
- Arthur Alaverdyan meets with alumni and students
On March 23, Ayb High School students and alumni visited Solaron Factory, the manufacturer of solar panels, where they were met by Factory’s Co-Founder and Director, member of the Ayb Club and Ayb School’s Board of Trustees Arthur Alaverdyan. The latter told the children about the manufacturing of devices generating alternative energy as well as about his practice in the field of entrepreneurship.
The next day Mr. Alaverdyan visited Ayb School and within the framework of the Thinking Skills subjects spoke about the various skills that are required in the field of business, new startups and manufacturing.
- Arsen Galstyan and his guests meet with alumni and students
In late May, at the invitation of Ayb Club member Arsen Galstyan, leader in healthcare management, Senior Lecturer at Higher School of Economics Mikhail Yugay and his wife Maria Yugay, experienced oculoplastic surgeon, came to Yerevan. On March 23-24, they delivered a master class and workshops on medicine for Ayb School students and alumni.
- On March 23, Mikhail Yugay spoke about his activities and career path, stereotypes and beliefs that are deeply rooted in humanity and often don’t correspond to the reality as well as about the development opportunities that today seem imaginary, and the totally new professions and demand for knowledge that spring from them. Ayb School students and alumni interested in this topic participated in the master class.
- On March 24, within the framework of the Thinking Skills subject Maria Yugay told the 10th graders about the problems of ophthalmology and the latest innovations. On the same day Arsen Galstyan, Mikhayil and Maria Yugay had a meeting with Ayb alumni studying at Yerevan State Medical University. They spoke about the forecasts of the future of medicine and discussed the peculiarities of P4 medicine, preventive and individual medication approaches, employment of technologies in diagnosis, and the possibility of creating a bionic eye.
Joint initiatives of Ayb Club members and their mentees
In the fall of 2017, within the framework of the Mentorship Program, Ayb Club member, member of Ayb School’s Board of Trustees, entrepreneur in the field of innovative medical equipment, donor Sargis Badalyan and his mentees visited Avetik Isahakyan’s House Museum in Gyumri, where they got acquainted with the museum’s wonderful samples. Being highly impressed by the museum, they wondered why the rich materials were not available online and the employees’ answer that it was due to lack of a computer had made them very upset.
Wishing to have their input in raising awareness of the museum, upon returning to Yerevan, Sargis Badalyan and his mentees started fundraising to purchase the computer. The fundraising was completed in January-February and on February 8 they all left for Gyumri to donate the computer to the museum. It should be noted that several Ayb School students had also joined them.